Thursday, July 3, 2008

Artsie Inspiration



It seems that I always have more pictures than words and today is no exception.

We weren't planning on attending the ArtHop, but I always hate to miss it, because then it's another month before the next one happens, so we spontaneously decided we'd go. We figured Mia would love it and she did!

We hadn't been to Margaret Hudson's for a while and it's one of my favorite places to go. Mia is about two and a half blocks tall on the clay pillars outside the gallery. We'll have to remember to take a picture next year and do a comparison.

I'm dying to have a real MH giraffe for Mia, but it doesn't seem there are many real ones left. Most are made by her "artisans" now. As we were driving past the Meux Home downtown tonight, I was remembering when my grandma took me to the teddy bear picnic there and I met Margaret Hudson. She taught all of the kids how to make a teddy bear from clay and I remember feeling like I had been taught a big secret. I knew she was an important artist even then, at about age 8.

I love the sculptures in the "Art Park". Maybe someday I'll get brave enough or crazy enough to try working with metal and I'll make some characters for our backyard. ArtHop always makes me want to go home and create something. Unfortunately, I tend to start projects and never finish them. I am reminded of the wall in Mia's room that I need to finish painting. Perhaps I'll post a picture of that finished masterpiece soon.










1 comment:

Dorina Gilmore said...

This reminds me I should take Meilani to Margaret Hudson's place. I love her paintings.