Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Little Things

I never used to notice the ceiling lights in department stores, but Mia does. She notices everything because everything is new and interesting to her. This morning we went to Smart and Final to buy plates. Usually that would be a pretty mundane errand. When I went to take Mia out of her car seat, she smiled at me like we were going on some big adventure. I love when she smiles like that. When I put her in the shopping cart she started talking, probably telling me how much fun we were going to have. The first thing she noticed as we walked into the store was the lights. She looked up at them and held her hand out to show me. I said, "Lights," and she smiled. She gets so excited about simple things like that. After we had purchased the plates, I gave her the receipt. She waved it around and laughed, then crumpled it up and laughed at that too.

It's so much fun to see the world through her eyes because EVERYTHING is new and exciting. Sometimes I feel guilty if I have to take Mia on a shopping trip like that because I "should" be teaching her something or playing with her, but then I realize that everything we do is a learning experience and she needs to have lots of different types of experiences. A "stay at home mom" doesn't necessarily have to be at home all day. Kids need to see the world too, even if it's just the world from their car seat as I deposit a check at the bank.

No comments: