Monday, February 11, 2008

Rice Cereal in a High Chair by Troy


Today was Mia's eating milestone of trying rice cereal. Allison had her gall bladder out on Thursday and is still recovering from her surgery. A few days ago I was at the store and on my list was rice cereal. I walked down the baby aisle as I have done many times before and was trying to find the rice cereal. I looked everywhere and still couldn't find it. Of course there were no instructions to look for a box. Instead, I was looking through the jars of mixed baby food. Most had rice cereal mixed with fruit. I never saw the box of dry rice cereal on the top shelf which was at my eye level. Allison ended up finding it over the weekend and pointed out that it was there the whole time. I asked for a more detailed description and a map to help in my search next time.


Since Allison was still recovering from surgery, her mom came over on Thursday, Friday and today to help out around the house. Allison told me as I was leaving this morning that they were going to give Mia rice cereal in the morning. I was very dissapointed that I was going to miss it so I told them to take pictures and video so I could watch it when I got home. While I was at work in the morning they gave Mia her first taste of rice cereal and they said she loved it! I didn't know that she was also going to have it when I got home as well. I was so excited to get to feed her tonight. Allison helped by mixing up the concoction of powdered cereal and water. The rice looks a lot like instant potato mix. I got Mia installed in the high chair and I was so surprised to see how well she is sitting up now. She is getting big too fast! Allison pointed out that I should keep the bowl on the table away from Mia's swinging arms. This morning Allison found out the hard way that Mia would rather have her hands in the bowl, than on the tray. I scooped up a small spoonful and moved it towards her little mouth. As soon as I got close to her mouth she opened up and leaned in. She is still trying to figure out how the spoon works and trys to suck it like a straw. She ate a bunch of cereal and loved the whole experience. Allison took tons of pictures and video so we can remember the moment. Allison said that I was more excited about the eating than Mia was.



After Mia finished her food Allison had our dinner ready and we got to eat at the table as a family for the first time. Things are changing so quickly and it is hard to hold on to all of the great memories that have already taken place.

No comments: