Thursday, February 21, 2008

What now?


The issue of what to do about going back to work has come up many times in the last 6 months. I desperately miss teaching, my friends, and the money is definitely being missed. I don't miss the paperwork or "politics" of my job. I will get a taste of going back to work in May and June when Troy's mom comes to take care of Mia. Too bad she can't be here all the time. Then I'll teach half-day summer school and my mom will watch Mia. I'm looking forward to it and I'm not.

Troy says I'm not a stay at home type. I tend to agree with him, but on the other hand, why have kids if you're not going to be the one to raise them? Part of me really liked the stress of a full time job and I loved what I did. I just can't imagine someone else deciding when my child will go down for a nap and if they'll let her cry or pick her up. What if they don't parent the way that I do? Of course they won't. They're not me. That's the problem.

I wouldn't be opposed to working a few hours a day. That would be just enough to get by. Then the issue is childcare. Who wants to take a child for only a half day? I have lots of options, but none of which are perfect.

1 comment:

Marcy said...

Im TOTALLY not the stay at home type either! But, my mom was home with me... and my friend's mom wasn't... I liked having a mom at home and want that for my kids. But that didnt stop me from getting my Masters! I knew that I wouldnt use it for long... but I DIDNT realize Id have my first child only 3 months after graduation! So, yes, my degree hangs above the cradle. But you know what? Its not wasted... I use that precious education every day on my kiddos... just like your love for teaching will be BEST used when you teach your OWN children :) Theres nothing wrong with needing to get out and do something on your own (my outlet is Creative Memories!) So I totally understand!!!