Saturday, October 25, 2008

Husband of the Year

This morning, without thinking much of it, I asked Troy if he would take care of Mia for the entire day. I wasn't going anywhere. I just wanted a day off where I wouldn't have to think about what time her naps were or what she was going to eat. I wouldn't have to monitor her as she took 30 minutes to finish her lunch and I wouldn't have to lift her or change any diapers. I thought for sure he would laugh at me and offer to help a little, but then make excuses for why he couldn't do it all day. To my surprise, he said, "Sure". And that was it.

I did not change one single diaper, or feed Mia one meal, or even think about what she was going to eat. I didn't put her to bed for her nap (which I actually missed because cuddling with her for a few minutes before each nap is one of my favorite things). I was able to run errands, do some laundry, work in the garage, and take a nap that didn't have to coincide with Mia's nap. I feel well rested and accomplished. I even got the added benefit of playing with Mia just because I felt like it and not because I had to entertain her. She's even cuter when I don't feel like the responsible one!

To my surprise, my husband of the year even cooked dinner without pawning Mia off on me. When bedtime rolled around, he did his usual bath, teeth brushing, diaper change and story with Mia, but before he put her to bed he asked me to come into the bathroom to look at something. He wouldn't tell me what was going on, so, being a mother, of course my first reaction was, "What happened?" I was already picturing the vomit or blood, but instead I found a book, towel, warm water and candles. I was told that I could not leave the bathroom for at least 30 minutes!

I have never actually taken a bath with candles and let me tell you, I will do it again. Not only could I read the pages of my book more easily, but it smelled nice and was very peaceful. If you have not tried a candlelit bathtime experience, pencil yourself in for one. You won't regret it.

4 comments:

Schmidt Family said...

And picked up stranded friends from Walmart at 10PM. What a guy.

Dorina Gilmore said...

Yep, you married a winner, girlfriend! Sounds like a much-needed mama break...And I'm sure he enjoyed his daddy time too!

Marcy said...

Seriously, though, he needs to talk to Jeremy. LOL :)

Jody Lynn said...

Wow, how great! I hope to have a wonderful husband like that someday! :) I'm so glad that you had some time to get recharged! :) You guys are awesome! :)

Miss you already!